Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Holy Sonnet XIV

This poem by John Donne is one of my favorites, and one that I've been thinking about lately. The times I think I am free, when I do my own thing and think I don't need God's direction, I am actually in bondage, and in slavery to the devil. Donne's prayer in the form of this poem comes to mind when I remember the fact that my freedom in Christ is only found in being His slave. It is a paradox of unimaginable beauty.
Batter my heart, three-person'd God; for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

2 comments:

J Man said...

I once heard a 'holy man' say, "It's the joys of intimacy with Jesus that keep us from sinning." How true, how true. If you're into learning about being ravish by God - check out www.fotb.com. Good stuff from KC!

Vagabondsoul said...

I once heard, "You don't know Jesus is all you need, until He's really all you have." This entry of yours and this poem, reminded me of that.