Monday, August 01, 2005

Priceless

There's really something to be said for reading instructions. On high school exams, especially departmentals, we learned to read instructions and we suffered the consequences (ie. a wrong answer) if we didn't. I generally pride myself on being an instruction reader. When I get a new gadget or piece of equipment or something that I'm not exactly sure how to operate, I read the instruction manual first. I pretty much never just wing it, because it's important to me to do it properly.

Tonight I was minding my own business, paying some bills online when I did the stupidest banking thing I've done in a long time, and ALL because I didn't read the instructions. Hey, I've done this a million times, click, click, click, bill paid.... WRONG bill paid. Try $300 paid to a credit card that had no balance! [Cue Michelle being frustrated and wanting to wring someone's neck... except that I had no one to blame but myself and no one's neck to wring but my own .... But I'm not one for self-mutilation, so cue Michelle swearing and yelling.]

I called my bank. It would take 7-10 days just to get the request to the credit card company, let alone receive the money back into my account. I called the credit card company, but it will take 8 days for them to make a payment to the other credit card company or to refund the money to my account. In the meantime I have a bill that needs paying, but thank God there's no interest and I still have the money to make a sizable payment on it.

So my lack-of-reading-instructions-leading-to-great-frustration really didn't turn out to be a horrendous problem. Here's where I could leave off with "Rest assured I was on the internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world," or do the Bible school thing of ending every story with a little lesson of what God taught me. I'm not going to do that here, because I'm still annoyed with the whole situation, but the truth is that I'm prideful and too easily frustrated at times.

So rest assured I was on the internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world!

6 comments:

J Man said...

Something that might work for you is to get a $300 cash advance from your CC, deposit into your bank and pay the bill needing the funds. I find it quite frustrating how banking beurocracy bogs up my money.... grrr.

Michelle said...

Hmmmmm... that could work.... I'll check into it. Good problem solving skills, J.

J Man said...

You know what they say....
"When you're good, you're me!"

Jenn said...

I often put money onto a card that I want to purchase things on, but do not have enough credit to do so.

This could totally work here, normally you pay interest the second you get the cash advance, but since you have money there that they now "owe" you, it shouldn't cost you anything to "advance" it to yourself.

Genious, J! (did I spell that right? It looks funny!)

Good thing I picked you!

Michelle said...

Well, actually it will, according to the person at MasterCard that I spoke to yesterday. It takes 2 - 3 business days for an online payment to be posted to my CC, so if I were to do a cash advance before it's posted, I will be charged interest (probably a whole 15 cents a day). I've just decided to wait until tomorrow when 3 days will have passed, and it will all be smooth sailing (or paying, as the case may be).

You guys are both genius, which explains why we're friends...

Vagabondsoul said...

Oh great internet - where would we be without you to vent our frustrations when we do something stupid and are rendered powerless to change it? ;)

I've done that a number of times.

And I'm a male, so we don't read instructions...LOL...unless everything else fails. ;)