Thursday, July 28, 2005

Famine in West Africa

It was two days ago that I first learned about the famine in Niger and surrounding countries. Not through the news (paper, tv, online or otherwise), but from someone else's blog and finally through the BBC World News. Famine in Niger? What famine in Niger? Oxfam estimates 3.6 million people are now facing starvation and CNN is now reporting this today, months after Niger appealed to the UN for aid after a locust plague and drought.

I found out about this famine the same day I ate a Skor Blizzard from Dairy Queen, and I know that I've been given the means to afford to buy Blizzards on occasion, but I still felt guilty and knew I had to do something. Because really, as wealthy as movie stars and other celebrities look to me and how I sometimes think, 'Hey, share the wealth,' I am that wealthy person to these people in West Africa and I can share the wealth. So I did today. I hope you'll do the same.

Go to http://kwleslie.blogspot.com/2005/07/comparing-news-shows.html and scroll down to the bottom for one guy's take on it.

But more importantly, go to www.oxfam.com and do something about it.

1 comment:

Vagabondsoul said...

I didn't realize how "rich" I was until I was in Africa visiting. I've never considered myself weatlhy, but by basic standards, I am - very much so.